Monday, August 10, 2015

July Books

Here are the books I bought in July. I want to share these so I can hopefully get recommendations from others, since, as a I said in this post, I am always on the hunt for new books. Please let me know if you have any recommendations, or if you've read any of these books, and have any thoughts about them!

I recently read my first Margaret Atwood, The Robber Bride, and loved it, and went in search for my next Atwood, and picked this up.










I first bought this book because it is from the publisher Persephone Books, an AMAZING independent publisher that mostly publishes forgotten and out-of-print books by women. These are just hard to get a hold of in the States, as Persephone only sells in their books in the UK. You can ship them around the world, but it is expensive, you can buy them Amazon, but I am vehemently opposed to buying books on Amazon, or you can scour used book stores and hope someone has kindly donated their copies, which is how I found this book. It also helps that Monica Dickens is the great-granddaughter of Charles Dickens. I've already read this book, and loved it. I will be writing up on it.


I've read Carson McCullers' novel The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, which I thought was all right. I wanted to give her another try with this collection.










In college, I took a class solely on Vladimir Nabokov's work. So far I have read a ton of short stories and seven of his novels, which were all pretty great, so I want to continue chipping away at his bibliography.








This book is a gift from one of my best friends. She read it, and thought I would love it. I love receiving books as gifts, especially books that I didn't express that I wanted, but books that others think I would enjoy.








Lately, I feel like I've been hearing so much about Jeanette Winterson, and this book in particular seems to have been making the rounds on Booktube, so when I saw a used copy in perfect condition, I had to get it.









Virginia Woolf is one of my absolute favorite authors of all time, so I'm trying to make my way to reading everything she has written. Melymbrosia is interesting because it is an earlier draft of her published novel The Voyage Out. Melymbrosia was heavily edited based Woolf's friends telling her she would receive a lot of backlash because of the book's criticism of the British empire. Why would I not want to read this?





_____

So I'm still tinkering with ways to format these Monthly Book entries. I might just change them every time I do one, depending on the books, and whether I have something specific to say about why I bought them. I wanted to write about these books a little more because I'm really excited about them, and most are particularly meaningful to me in one way or another. But something I thought I might include is a little tally of the stores I bought them at. I want to do this to promote the amazing independent bookstores I frequent, and to kind of get a sense of where I shop. As much as this blog is for dialogue, I also want to use it to map my interests and ways of reading. Here are my bookstore tallies:

The Strand: |||
bookbook: |||

No comments:

Post a Comment